Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2016

How the Discussion and Judgement of DmC: Devil May Cry is Clouded by Speculation, Opinions, and Sensationalism

(Originally posted for The Voice Of Heard on February 14, 2012)

Ever since my post discussing updates regarding the video game DmC: Devil May Cry, I had wanted to express something that’s been bugging me; I have been bothered by not only how the game (which is still in development and scheduled for release sometime this year) is presented but how any reasonable discussion and judgement of the game is clouded by speculation, opinions, and sensationalism. Ever since I wrote my first entry about it, I tried to examine the upcoming remake/reboot to see if it would really be as good as representatives from the producer Capcom and the developer in charge of the game, Ninja Theory, had claimed or as bad as feared among the Devil May Cry fan base without being muddled by feelings produced as a result of speculation, opinions, and sensationalism. When I look back upon the entries I’ve written thus far, I have nothing but doubt that the game would be of any success either critically or financially. Quite frankly, I no longer see a point in even talking about it anymore. The updates that have been released so far are minuscule and provide very little information about how the game would be any different from and better than its predecessors. A very short preview article on DmC: Devil May Cry from the January 2012 issue of Game Informer Magazine did not help matters either; a majority of comments posted on my original entry have been nothing but spam and contribute nothing to the whole issue (perhaps this is due to the fact that my blog is small and thus relatively unknown on the Internet). Last month, IGN posted an article stating six reasons why Ninja Theory may be able to make Devil May Cry fresh again. How these theories will work in practice remains to be seen. The whole issue itself seems to be depicted an Internet-based mudslinging fest among a majority of fans and game journalists, a comment fueled war between bandwagons of-tradition versus-change. Though this is purely speculation based on opinion, I suspect that this is what Ninja Theory intended this to be as to detract any serious questioning about the game and how they may be bullying the Devil May Cry fan base or trying to induce a sense of guilt in consumers as a way of persuading them into buying the game when it comes out. I have no evidence that supports this. In order to make up for the lack of a mature discussion of DmC: Devil May Cry, I am working on a new entry that examines the history of Ninja Theory as a company, their track record of the games they made so far, and very brief backgrounds on the company’s founders. Though it may be a long shot, I hope the finished entry will help fans decide to see whether or not Ninja Theory is really qualified for the job of remaking/rebooting the Devil May Cry franchise once I post it soon.

Original Comment

Luz
March 24th, 2012 at 12:49 am


Haha yea, it was tough to find stuff to talk about.. talking about the story is pertty complex so couldn’t do that.. I played this game loads early last year.. if you notice like it says 2/18/2008 lol. I am like on Hell and Hell.. which is lame.. I really became rusty as you can see in the crappy gameplay lol. Fun game though even though its been over a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment