Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Information Regarding DmC: Devil May Cry: An Update

(Originally posted for The Voice of Heard on August 27, 2011)

Since posting my last entry on DmC: Devil May Cry, a reboot for Capcom’s popular video game franchise being developed by Ninja Theory, I did a little more web surfing for additional information; some bits of which I may have known earlier but haven’t posted yet; and others that I haven’t known before or wasn’t aware of at the time I wrote the entry. After doing a little more research, I have found some more of the said information regarding DmC: Devil May Cry.


First off, a demo for DmC: Devil May Cry was not made playable at Gamescom. According to a Capcom official, it was “far from being finished” (at least, that what the article I obtained this detail from said). Since the final product is supposed to be released in 2012, the last bit does not seem like a good sign. It makes me wonder how the developers are going to finish the game on time given the current state it is in right now.

I have also spotted some interesting information at Capcom Unity, a fan-based forum where Capcom-based games including Devil May CryResident Evil, and Street Fighter. Aside from the threads containing negative reaction to the reboot and questions being asked by fans regarding the gameplay in general, a fan has shown something interesting regarding the design of DmC: Devil May Cry. This fan has compared the game to another game that is considered sub-par, Devil May Cry 2. Using screenshots taken from that game and this year’s E3 trailer of the reboot, similarities between the two have been pointed out, including an idea of an odd-looking building in a city, demonic-possessed technologies, a concept of a “shape-shifting world,” setting setups, and an enemy design. When I looked at the screenshots, it seems that Ninja Theory is taking ideas and designs from Devil May Cry 2, as if recycling it using different color palettes.

I have wondered why it was decided that the game would be running at 30 FPS. The reason, I have found out, was that it would allow the Ninja Theory team to focus on the environmental graphic designs, including the buildings shifting around Dante while in Limbo. On another note, in the same article I acquired this information from, Tameen Antoniades, the creative director in charge of the reboot, was quoted as saying: “The people who are skeptical secretly want to like it and our job is to prove that it’s Devil May Cry in essence.” How would he know if the people who have been suspicious of the reboot from the start have unconsciously want to like the game regardless of the changes being made, even those that would likely harm the game?

Speaking of Tameen Antoniades, I found something funny when I watched him give the latest Gamescom interview with Gametrailers. In the video, I noticed that his hair has been partially cut off at the right side of his head.  It’s as if it was the creative director’s personal response to the negative fan reaction to Dante’s new appearance, particularly his face and hairstyle. It is really just a guess I have made and I don’t know if it was actually intentional or even related to the development of DmC: Devil May Cry.

Original Comment

Kenji
March 24th, 2012 at 9:50 am


disse:Yes, they turned a great game into crap!I’m a fan of dmc too, and I was eenxctipg something like dmc 4, when i started to see the trailer of the new dmc, but that shit is Dante? it’s ridiculous

No comments:

Post a Comment