Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Televised Video-Gamer Stereotype: The Inaccurate Portrayal It Really Is

(Originally posted at The Voice of Heard on July 16, 2011)

Are you familiar with the video game player stereotype? The one portrayed on TV as a lazy, couch potato who spends most of his/her life in a dark basement playing video games for many hours at a time and who is uninterested in other people? As a gamer myself, I find such portrayals as inaccurate in terms of what they do and offensive in terms of who they are as human beings who just happen to play video games as a hobby and a past time. In my old blog, I have covered this issue on a number of occasions, including the ones below:



I have decided to write this because I just came across a 1up feature called Why Television Hates Video Games, which covers the whole issue of stereotyping video game players on television shows, as well as portraying the video games themselves, console and otherwise, in technically inaccurate ways. News stories regarding the “risk” children face when they play their PlayStation Portables (PSPs) and Nintendo DSs (Duel Screens) are also discussed. The feature can be found here. On another note, I have also covered other issues regarding video games as featured in some news stories, which I will discuss as part of my next feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment