Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Recent Updates on DmC: Devil May Cry at TGS 2011

(Originally posted for The Voice of Heard on September 20, 2011)

Last week, I have watched a few new videos of DmC: Devil May Cry, a reboot of Capcom’s popular video game franchise being developed by Ninja Theory. Specifically, the new videos are a trailer and a gameplay demo from this year’s Tokyo Game Show (TGS), the latter of which was recorded by a video camera. The videos have revealed a few new details regarding the gameplay, the setting, the story, and the main protagonist Dante. Speaking of Dante, his face appears cleaner and less like Tameen Antoniades, the creative developer at Ninja Theory, than it did in the debut trailer from last year’s TGS.


Not much of the gameplay mechanics, mostly the combat and Dante’s new ‘Devil Trigger mode,’ have been revealed since the game was shown at Gamescom a few months ago. However, it appears that Dante can fire bullets that ricochet against enemies from his handguns and use one of his fighting modes for different purposes, such as traversing and gliding between platforms in ‘Angel Mode’ and using his ‘Devil Mode’ weapon to pull out the eye of demonic cameras (and kicking it against the wall as he probably would a soccer ball) in order to progress.

The shapeshifting effect of the demonic dimension of Limbo on the city in which it is occupied is as evident as it was when they were first revealed in this year’s E3 trailer. When watching the second half of the recorded demo, however, these influences appear more powerful than previously revealed: the city itself had dissolved into little more than floating platforms, revealing a vast ocean below and a demonic fortress anchored to the twisted buildings via large chains. A few new areas of the city/Limbo have also been revealed, including a carnival.

As for what little is known about the story, it appears that an unnamed female companion is aiding Dante in his run from the police. She also appears to have knowledge of the demon’s influence on the city and an understanding of what’s going on. It has yet to be known what part the woman will be playing in the story. Dante himself did not show much of a personality as he talks casually about what’s going on around him, as if it is no big deal to him.

My overall impression on the new trailer and gameplay demo for DmC: Devil May Cry from TGS 2011 is that the graphics appear more bright and colorful while the gameplay, story, and Dante did not appear more interesting than what was revealed from E3 and Gamescom. The TGS 2011 trailer can be found at Gametrailers and a video of the demo can be found on YouTube. I should note that I attempted to look for the latter again at Gametrailers but it has been removed. I have viewed it last week, so I have no way of knowing why.

Original Comments

JamieSeptember 26th, 2011 at 12:30 pm


Tim,
This is an interesting topic for your blog this week. I have to say that I feel very informed about the world of Capcom after reading your entry. Keep up the good work and research.

AnelaMarch 24th, 2012 at 8:41 am

Yes, they turned a great game into crap!I’m a fan of dmc too, and I was tniecepxg something like dmc 4, when i started to see the trailer of the new dmc, but that shit is Dante? it’s ridiculous


JamieSeptember 26th, 2011 at 12:32 pm


Ninja theory and devil trigger mode among some of the things you discuss sound like good additions to this DmC gameplay demo. I will spread the word to Patrick and Jesse. They will want to read up on this blog and check out those videos.


  • Timothy Heard
          September 26th, 2011 at 8:41 pm

          Have you read my other posts yet? Upon reading your comments, I feel that you should know that I have been skeptical of DmC: Devil May Cry from the start. I have expressed my skepticism in a few entries I’ve posted late last month. You’ll easily find them under my video games category. My first DmC post discusses a brief history of the Devil May Cry franchise, the issues that were presented at the time the reboot was announced, and my personal experience playing the games. The second post discussed the gameplay details revealed at this year’s Gamescom presentations. The third post contains links to internet videos that give examples of the gameplay from the earlier Devil May Cry games and the trailers for the reboot in an attempt to get my points across. Make sure that Patrick and Jesse are aware of that. If you’re curious for a little more information and my perspective on this, please feel free to let me know.

AbdulMarch 24th, 2012 at 5:54 am
Kelly disse:i’m a fan of dmc but i disillusioned with this crap how can sctiwh to dante for this crap?I am very disillusioned.I expected eager the new dmc, but not anymore, after seeing this shit, I do not think it will be fun to play

DilyaJune 16th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

POWERED UP DANTE has his real’ hair.Clever girl.ALSO are we now perhaps tiinkhng that this is some DMC Zero type affair? And, do we think that Ninja Theory will be able to perhaps deliver beyond their apparent staple of <25fps for their character animation this time around? After all, previous DMC outings have always been silky smooth, thus, can NTheory deliver the required standard?I'm not questioning their standards on their artwork as a whole, just, it always irks me how their surrounding elements are so well designed whilst their characters jerk around in the midst of it all like a clay stop-motion animation! It's not acceptable by todays (or last generations) standards. They repeated this same 'trait' in Enslaved, as was first seen in Heavenly Sword. I don't want to see it again in DMC. It doesn't seem to bother the many, but it really ticks me off VN:F [1.9.17_1161](from 0 votes)

AshishchandraJuly 24th, 2012 at 1:40 am


What I’m most concerned about, Neo, is game play and the egnine.NT never have been all about sophisticated, deep combat and game play heck in Enslaved the game told me throughout the whole affair how to jump, climb and toss Trip on ledges above Monkey -_-.Enslaved had performance issues on PS3 and that massive screen-tearing (I’m a PC/PS3 owner) annoyed the heck out of me.A fast paced action game like DMC will suffer severely on PS3. Frame rate drops and screen tearing are gonna kill the game for me and so far no developer except NetherRealm could deliver a UE3 powered game running at 60 fps w/o screen tearing on PS3.Why not letting NT use the vastly superior MT framework egnine for DmC is clearly beyond me.VN:F [1.9.17_1161](from 0 votes)


No comments:

Post a Comment